The Veterans’ Fund Indigenous Scholarships support Native American, Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiian, Indigenous Australian and Torres Strait Islander post 9/...
Roberta Sykes Fellowship
The Roberta Sykes Indigenous Education Foundation provides partial funding for Indigenous postgraduate students to undertake research, at a leading overseas academic institution, as part of their Australian postgraduate study program. The period of study at the overseas institution can vary from a few months to a year.
The value of the Scholarship is up to AU$20,000, depending on the period of study.
Open all year round
How to apply
Internally managed. Fill our online form at https://aurorafoundation.com.au/our-work/indigenous-pathways-portal/scholarships/roberta-sykes-fellowship/
- be of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent, identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and be accepted as such by the community in which they live or have lived;
- hold an Undergraduate degree with strong performance;
- be accepted into a Postgraduate coursework or research degree at an overseas university;
- be able to demonstrate that they have or will have sufficient funds to support themselves during the course of their Postgraduate study, such as through another scholarship, private sponsorship or personal funds;
- be able to demonstrate that their studies will be of benefit to their community upon their return to Australia.
How to Apply
To apply you will need to submit:
- A personal statement outlining: Why you want to do the course; How you identify with the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community in which you live or have lived and past contributions you have made within the community; Ways in which undertaking your chosen course will benefit the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community, and future contributions you plan to make to the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community (and wider community) following completion of the course; Future contributions you plan to make to the Indigenous community (and wider community) following completion of the course.
- Your curriculum vitae;
- Academic transcript(s);
- Confirmation of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent through a signed statement (including common seal) from the Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander; Heritage Association, Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Corporation or Land Council of the country of your ancestors. If applicable, candidates are encouraged to provide a written statement from the Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Heritage Association, Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander Corporation or Land Council of the community in which they live or have lived and/or are connected to;
- A high resolution passport sized photo;
- A financial budget (see template in Resources);
- Four (4) written references, which highlight you capabilities, your past contribution to the Indigenous community, and the perceived future benefit of doing your chosen course. These should be:
- two academic;
- one from and Elder in your community (which should highlight your connection to the community);
- one personal.
Applications for the Roberta Sykes Fellowships are reviewed, and eligible candidates interviewed, at each board meeting of the Roberta Sykes Indigenous Education Foundation.
The deadlines to submit applications in 2021 are as follows:
- 1 February;
- 5 April;
- 14 June;
- 6 September;
- 8 November.
Selection of successful applicants will be based on academic merit, financial need, and the applicant’s past and future contributions to the Indigenous communities and to Australia more generally. Your Fellowship application will only be reviewed by the Board if you have been accepted in to a recognised overseas academic institution to carry out postgraduate research as part of your postgraduate program in Australia. You should submit your application to the Foundation while you await the outcome of your university application, or contact the Trust if you require further information.